Going to See The Pioneer Woman

My intentions yesterday were good. I would take my new cookbook to MOA, meet Ree Drummond (aka The Pioneer Woman), tell her what a huge influence she is on my life, have her sign this gem:  The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl and then be on with my day. I had seen pictures of other women in line with toddlers and babies at her other events across the country and they all still looked sane so I had no qualms about bringing my own to the book signing event. In fact the event in Little Rock looked downright sparse! So my dad and I packed up the 6-month-old and 3-year-old and hit the road. But then we got there and I saw this:

and this:

And this:

As you can see, the line snakes all the way back past the Caribou Coffee and Nine West or whatever that is. . . into infinity and beyond. I did get to see Ree though:

I pointed her out to my son and showed him the cover of the cookbook. Look Andrew, a real celebrity in person! But Ree has never felt like a celebrity to me. A friend, yes. A mentor, yes indeed- more than she will ever know since I passed on standing in line with my kids for a few hours so that I could have the chance to gush at her.

I remember about a year after we moved to Hutchinson. I still hadn’t met anyone new besides our neighbors and my students. I was starting to wonder if we had made the right decision moving away from the cities. Then I came across Ree’s blog, The Pioneer Woman and I identified. I don’t live on a cattle ranch and I’m not from L.A. but we have several other things in common like our love of all things photography-related and cooking every day. Also our children of course. I thought to myself, maybe I should start a blog! And so here I am.

It’s empowering to have followed Ree for this time to see what she has become (her cookbook is on the NY Times Best Sellers List). I like to think that any woman who sits at home with her children thinking she is just a stay-at-home-mom and will never do anything huge can look to Ree and see that life is what you make it! You can feel passionate about something and if you are compassionate enough, share it with someone for free. You never know what might come of it in the long run.

I’m sorry I didn’t have the nerve to stand in line with my kids for that long so I could meet her. But in a way it doesn’t bother me since I feel like I know her so well already from her blog. Besides, I’m thinking she’s going to have another book deal and by looking at the response she got in Minneapolis, she might be back around this way before we know it!

7 Comments

1. Posted November 23, 2009 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Woohooo! I see myself in your pictures! Wasn’t it fun?

2. Paige
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Well, at least you got to see her!

3. Lisa Welberg
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed your post…I even spot myself in some your photos!

4. Posted November 23, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

I like your comments on women who are stay-at-home-moms and how you still can have passion! I discovered this blogging thing about a year ago! It has brought me into a new level of confidence and learning (I didn’t even know how to cut and paste a year ago!) that I didn’t know was in me!! I have been challenged, kept going, and have had lots of adventures along the way!! I believe very much, life is what you make it!! Ree inspires me too! -Chris Ann (a wife, a mom of four kids, a blogger, and an empowered woman!!)

5. Posted November 30, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Hi,

Stumbled on your site from PW’s. Very jealous to hear you got to see her & get your book signed.

Somehow I just don’t think she’s going to make it to Camp Humphreys in South Korea. So I’m living vicariously through everyone else’s posts.

Thanks so much for sharing all the pictures!

Much love from an overseas Army wife,
    Jennifer

6. Posted December 1, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Wow! That’s a lot of people. I wouldn’t have stood in line either.
    What I love about PW is how she inspires positivity– if that’s even a word. It seems like we’re all rooting for her, which is a rarity these days.

7. jayaycee
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 10:06 am | Permalink

If I’ve learned anything about these book signings, it’s that you have to be there at least 4 hours before the actual event to have a chance at meeting the author. Went with my 31-year-old daughter to the PW signing in Phoenix, we stayed over 3 hours and never even got close to her. So you see, it doesn’t matter how old your kids are if the line’s too long! But I love my book and think she’s pretty awesome. Have been reading her blog for several years and just started my own blog in July.

2 Trackbacks

1. By Meeting The Pioneer Woman | Jessica Pearson Knits on November 23, 2009 at 8:33 pm

[...] didn’t get any great line pictures but this lady did! When she shows the line snaking past Caribou I was at the far left edge of that picture by Hanna [...]

2. By Night on the Town « Wallflower Wonderland on December 19, 2009 at 9:29 pm

[...] line for the Macy’s deal was pretty long. You would have thought we were going to see the Pioneer Woman or [...]